Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Motivation

Any teacher who has been through a teacher ed program, knows how important motivation is in a lesson plan. During my student teaching experience, all of my supervisors alway emphasized it's importance to me, and I really struggled to constantly slip a motivational piece into my lesson. I felt that it had to be some type of game that had to be incorporated to make the students interested and motivated in the lesson. With that type of mentality, I felt that it was impossible to constantly motivated students in this way, and that at some point, they needed to take responsibility for their own learning. This directly relates back to the intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation debate. Throughout my educational career, i haven't really seen intrinsic motivation at work. The best I've seen is college students, because they all in class by choice. In an elementary setting, even as a sub, I still have only seen extrinsic motivation used with table points, marble jars, tickets, or class money. Perhaps intrinsic motivation only develops with age.

In the reading, I really liked the ARCS model categories and subcategories, as they really helped to show me the other ways that motivation can be tied into a lesson other than turning everything into a game. In addition to that, I found the steps of the ARCS design process to be interesting because it really forces the instructor or designer to really think about what motivational element will be included, and take into account the types of learners that will taught. I think if this was used often, that it would really lead to improvements in instruction and design.

4 comments:

Peiwen said...

Hello,
I agree that you said students should be responsible for their own learning. My principle also asked me to motivate our kids. She said the best way is to play GAMES, and give away CANDIES if they do something good. A year passed, the kids seems to take it for granted that TEACHERS should play games in every class or they don't feel be motivated/happy today!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think as teachers we have to do a lot more than reward with candies, and games. If we stop and think about the kids we are teaching, they really don't need more candy. I think a great reward for elementary school children is a good chapter book, or a book of their choice based on who was the best behaved. I think this will count for something. Honestly, I think we need to keep away from the food. Making kids successful and intrinsically motivated is our primary concern and I know it works to use other rewards. Kids might not appreciate it at first but eventually they'll see the joy in it.

Oraya said...

I agree with everyone that keep award students with candy is not the best way to motivate their learning. What if they were not getting candy as prize anymore, would they give up the study? It means that they are not recognize the important of study. I believe we are as teachers should find some other ways to push them .

ARCS model would be one of the best motivation theory that guide teachers how to motivate kids which included techniques and steps to follow of how to take it into practice.

Oraya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.