Thursday, November 29, 2007

Distributed Learning and the Field of Instructional Design

In the text, the authors discussed the number of graduate programs that are available completely online. In theory it's a great idea since it saves on commute time, and allows the student to work at their own pace. I do feel that there is a downside to having solely online classes. As a part of BTSA, I enrolled in an online course to satisfy one of standards. Since there's no immediate deadlines, it's easy to fall behind which I inevitably did. Meeting face to face all the time can also be repetitive or class time may be used inefficiently. For these reasons, I feel that CSULA's idea of having hybrid classes sounds like a good idea as it bridges the two styles together.

At the end of the chapter, the question was raised at to whether IDT professionals should be subject to credentialing. I think that this is a good idea as it would force universities to have similar curriculum. In a field that's constantly changing like IDT, I think that it's only natural that we're continually assessed so that it forces us to stay on top of the newest trends. It just like with doctors, even after they finish medical school, the tests never end.

3 comments:

Oraya said...

I also like the hybrid class which we meet in class and also online. However, I think the regular class would fit better for lower grade students because kids still need teachers to feed the content and give them direction,whereas the hybrid and online classes would be such a perfect courses for higher grade and college students which they can concentrate and complete the content by themselves because these type of classes require more disciplinary and responsible than the classroom style which younger adult seem to have more than children.

msguysblog said...

I agree that designers should be subject to certification/credentialling. As teachers, we see ourselves as life long learers and designers should as well. I also like hybrid classes for the reasons mentioned in each post; and also because in traditional classes, sometimes, class assignments are simple rehashing of other ideas. Well- designed hybrid classes, in my opinion are like a give and take: the learner receives information but also can produce something for all in the learning community to share and learn from.

Priscilla Gardner said...

I agree with you Kellie. The hybrid classes are ideal for me because it keeps me focused on getting assignments done in a timely manner. Also, you learn a lot by meeting people in person. You can sometimes ask questions you wouldn't normally ask via the internet.

I also agree that credentialing is a good idea as well for the reasons mentioned in each blog.